Women's Organization for Political Prisoners (WOFPP)

Newsletter August 2008

There are at present about 80 women political prisoners in the Israeli jails: about 38 in Hasharon Prison (Tel Mond), about 37 in Damoon Prison (Carmel Mountain), 2 in Neve Tirza Prison (Ramle) and the rest in several detention centers.

The prisoners continue suffering from insufficient health care. They are still waiting to receive the medication that - about two months ago - were prescribed by private physicians who were sent by "Mandela Institute" that is based in Ramallah.

Neve Tirza Prison (Ramleh)

On 14 July, 'Abeer 'Odeh and Maryam elTarabin were transferred from Hasharon Prison to Neve Tirza Prison. Since 20 July 2008, both are held in isolation cells and suffer from terrible conditions and a harsh attitude. On 20 July 2008 at 4:30am, wardens entered their cell, undertook searches, beat Abeer and tightly handcuffed both of them. Then they transferred them to separate isolation cells and tied each one to a bed. Abeer and Maryam were held in this position during about 12 hours without any food or water and without the possibility to go to a toilet. WOFPP's lawyer Taghreed Jahshan visited them about ten days later, and the tie marks on Maryam's hands and legs were still visible.

'Abeer 'Odeh, from Tulkarem, was arrested on 22 April 2006. According to her sentence, she ought to have been released on 10 July 2008; but the Israeli authorities refused to release her and issued an administrative detention order against her for six months. The Israeli authorities may extend an administrative detention endlessly.

Jamila Masbah, 46 years old, form elJib, Ramallah district, was arrested on 1 June 2008, sentenced to two months and a fine of NIS 7000. She was released on 3 August. Her sons who were arrested with her were also released.

Damoon Prison (Carmel Mountain)

The conditions in the cells
The conditions are very harsh. The heat in the cells is still almost unbearable. In each cell there is only one toilet for 10 to 14 prisoners. The prisoners sleep on rusty bunk beds. The space between the lower and the upper bed is so small that it is impossible to sit upright on the lower bed. There is no ladder to go up and down from the upper bed.

Girls under administrative detention
Salwa Salah and Sara Siureh, both under 17 years old, from Bethlehem district, are administrative detainees who were arrested on 5 June 2008. Addameer Association (Addameer, Arabic for conscience, prisoners support and human rights) sent an urgent appeal on behalf of them

Amal Jum'ah, 35 years old, from Nablus, was arrested on 9 May 2004. She suffers from a tumor in the womb and needs an operation. Until August 2008 she did not know when and where she will have the operation.

Shirin Sweedan, 26 years old, from Qalqilia, was arrested on 7 September 2006. Her mother-in-law with Shirin's children went to visit her but the soldiers at an Israeli checkpoint prohibited them from passing.

Amneh Muna, 32 years old, from Bir Nabala, was arrested on 19 January 2001. After about one and half a year in a separation wing, she was transferred from Kishon Detention Center (Jalameh) to Damoon Prison (Carmel Mountain).

'Adalah Jubara, from Nablus, was arrested on 10 September 2004 and released in August 2008.
Leena Jubara, from Nablus, was arrested on 10 September 2004 and released in August 2008.

Hasharon Prison (Tel Mond)

Fathmah elZuk, from Gaza, mother of 9 children, was arrested in May 2007. On 15 July 2008 she was brought, with her baby Yussef, from the prison to the district court in Beer-Sheva. It was a terrible journey. The travel to the court began at 8:00am and ended at 7.00pm. The session in the court lasted less then half an hour. For about four and half hours, Fathmah was held with her baby in a tiny and dirty cell in the court building's basement, her legs were shackled very tightly and without the possibility to go to a toilet. During the long hours of the travel, Fathmah's hands and legs were shackled, and she could not hold her baby who cried all the time. She did not have enough milk for the baby. But anyhow, in such hot weather the milk would have become bad after some hours. It ought to have been the duty of the prison authorities to provide fresh milk for the baby. The next session will be on 21 September 2008 in the district court in Beer-Sheva. WOFPP and supporters intend to be present in the court.

'Etaf 'Alyan, 44 years old, from Ramallah, mother of a 4-year-old daughter, was arrested on 22 December 2005. After a long time, her brother finally got a permission to visit her but, when he arrived at the prison, the prison authorities prohibited him from visiting. About 'Etaf 'Alyan

New Prisoners
Khulud elMasri, from Nablus, a member of the Municipality Council. On 15 July 2008, Israeli soldiers entered her home, arrested Khulud and her husband and took many things from her house including her passport and her children's passports. She was brought to a hospital because of health problems, then transferred to Hasharon Prison and placed under administrative detention. The administrative detention order has been issued until 30 September 2008, but the Israeli authorities may extend an administrative detention endlessly.
Majda Fadda, was arrested on 5 August 2008, she had been a prisoner in the past.

Suad elShyukhi, 21 years old, from Jerusalem, was arrested on 7 February 2007, placed under administrative detention and released on 2 August 2008.
Muna Q'adan, 36 years old, from 'Arabe, Jenin district, was arrested on 2 August 2007, placed under administrative detention and released on 18 July 2008. About Muna Q'adan
Hanin Druzeh, from Nablus, 40 years old, suffers from many health problems. She was arrested on 15 July 2008 under violent conditions: At 2:30pm dozens of Israeli soldiers entered her home and undertook searches till 6:00am. On the way to the prison, one woman soldier stepped on her breast until she fainted. She was brought to a hospital and then to Hasharon Prison. On 31 July 2008, Hanin Druzeh was released. Muna Mansur, from Nablus, a member of the Palestinian Parliament, mother of 5, the youngest 7 years old. Her husband, Jamal Mansur, was murdered by Israeli soldiers about six years ago. She was arrested on 21 July 2008. Israeli soldiers entered her home in the night and undertook searches. They also carried out humiliating searches on her body. Muna Mansur was released on 4 August 2008.
Inas Mar'ey, from Nablus. She is pregnant, was held some days in Hashrom Prison and released.

Kishon Detention Center (Jalame)

Samiha Mughrabi, 55 years old, mother of ten children, from Nablus district, was arrested on 11 June 2008. On 28 July 2008, WOFPP's lawyer Tagreed Jahshan came to visit her. She arrived at 15:30, and - under various pretexts - the prison authorities did not let her enter until 17:00 o'clock. After 17:00 o'clock there are no visits, therefore she had had to wait in vain.
Samiha Mughrabi was released on 30 July 2008.

Home page