Women's Organization for Political Prisoners (WOFPP)

Newsletter September 2006

There are, at present, about 115 women political prisoners in the Israeli jails. In Hasharon Prison (Tel Mond) about 90, the rest: in Neve Tirza Prison (Ramle), in Ayalon Prison (Ramle), in Kishon Detention Center (Jalame), and several more in other detention centers.

On 13 September 2006 the prison authorities of Hasharon Prison (Tel Mond) decided - under the pretext that two women had tried to dig a tunnel in their cell - to put dozens of political women prisoners in a separation wing and to transfer about twenty women to other prisons: Kishon (Jalame) near Haifa, Ayalon (Ramle) and Neve Tirza (Ramle). The prisoners claim that this is absolutely absurd, as twice a day the wardens search everywhere, including all the cells, especially the floors.

The prisoners told Taghreed Jahshan, WOFPP's lawyer, that the two women who, according to the prison authorities' claim, had tried to dig a tunnel, were beaten by the wardens, but they were not transferred to another prison.

The women who were transferred are now being held in conditions that are much worse than those in Hasharon Prison:

On 18 September, Taghreed Jahshan, WOFPP's lawyer, tried to visit Ayalon Prison (Ramle) , after having previously arranged the visit, according to the established rules. A short time after her arrival, she was informed that a state of emergency has been declared in Ayalon Prison, and she was asked to leave at once. She called several times during the next two hours, but the state of emergency was still continuing. By the way, Ayalon is a prison for men, and this is the first time that we hear that women are being detained there.

On 19 September Taghreed visited Neve Tirza Prison (Ramle) . Upon her arrival at 9am, while her license was being checked, she was informed that a state of emergency had been declared. She telephoned at 11am and was told that she could come at 12 noon. Finally she was allowed to enter the prison at 2pm, after having waited outside in the heat for two hours. She had asked to meet two prisoners who had been transferred from Hasharon Prison, but was allowed to meet Amne Muna only. Amne Muna is being held alone in isolation detention. She started a hunger strike on 13 September, demanding to be transferred back to Hasharon Prison.

Four women prisoners were transferred to Kishon Detention Center (Jalame). On 20 September Taghreed visited Kishon and asked to meet the prisoners. She was allowed to meet only 'Abeer 'Amer who told her that they do not receive any soap or sanitary pads. The four women started a hunger strike on 13 September, demanding to be transferred back to Hasharon Prison.

Hasharon Prison (Tel Mond)

‘Etaf ‘Alyan, 42 years old, administrative detainee, from Ramallah, mother of a 2-years-old baby, was arrested on 22 December 2005. On 26 July, her administrative detention was extended again for another three months.

In August she was formally charged with organizing summer camps for young girls. The judge in the military court ordered to release her on bail until the end of the legal procedure. The Israeli Authorities refused to release her, as she is still under administrative detention order.
More about 'Etaf 'Alyan

Royda Fritakh Al'oijen, a Jordanian citizen, was arrested at the beginning of August together with her husband. For more than six years she had been living in the West Bank with her husband who is a citizen of the West Bank and her son who is now six years old. At the beginning of September, about a month after her arrest, the Israeli Authorities tried to deport her to Jordan, but did not succeed because her Jordanian passport was not valid. - Six years ago she requested to obtain a legal status in order to remain with her husband in the West Bank, but the Israeli Authorities never answered her request. "Nadi elAsir" ("Palestinian Prisoners Society") appealed to the High Court against the deportation order, and the High Court ordered not to deport her until her petition is being dealt with.

Nuha Bushnaq was arrested in August and put into administrative detention for a period of six months.

Dr. Rifqa elJa'abri, 43 years old, from Hebron, administrative detainee. The Israeli army arrested her on 15 August and placed her under administrative detention order for six months.

Dr. Rifqa elJa'abri was born in Hebron. She studied general medicine in Yemen, and specialized in obstetrics and gynaecology in France. She underwent her training in elMakased Hospital in Jerusalem. She worked in hospitals in Hebron such as Almohtaseb Hospital, which belongs to the Red Crescent committee, located in the old city of Hebron. She has her own clinic in Hebron, and she is the head administrator of Alnaqa, charitable medical center in Bethlehem. This center offers emergency help for sick people and makes surgical operations, especially for poor people who cannot pay for other hospitals.
More about Dr. Rifqa elJa'abri

Neve Tirza Prison (Ramle)

On 13 September 2006, the Parole Board refused to release Tali Fahima after she had served two thirds of her sentence but decided that after three months another hearing about her early release will take place.

Home page